Hardware Sensor Engineer
At Coco, our mission is to transform cities by removing cars, powering a more local economy, and delighting customers with an accessible daily convenience.
Coco is a venture-backed, Series A stage startup that operates hundreds of sidewalk robots, delivering to thousands of customers every week across Los Angeles. The environment here is high-energy, collaborative, and exciting. Our HQ is located in Playa Vista, Los Angeles.
About this team / Day In a Life
As the Hardware Sensor Architect, you will work on selecting, evaluating, designing, and integrating the HW sensor subsystem of Coco’s next generation of delivery robots. You will collaborate with a cross-functional team to drive HW implementation decisions, feasibility studies, component and source selection, and the integration of all key sensors, including imaging sensors, Lidar/Radar, ToF cameras, ultrasonic sensors, etc…
You will support system bring-ups, and the debugging and resolution of any related issues that may arise. You will be involved in projects from concept through production, gaining exposure to the complete product design lifecycle.
As the Hardware Sensor Lead in our Hardware Architecture and Engineering team, you will:
- Drive the HW architectural definitions of the Opto/Electrical Sensor subsystem, including component evaluation, performance profiling and analysis, interface definitions, and final component selections
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Mechanical, Software, System, and Safety teams to understand and meet the system-level requirements and advise on tradeoffs
- Lead benchtop and vehicle-level PCB/Electronics/Hardware bring-up & verification, and participate in HW/SW system integration of the sensor subsystem
- Work with Product, Manufacturing, and Operations teams on factory test needs and plans
- Work on HW-level characterization and performance profiling
- Assess, Root-cause, and resolve sensor-related issues encountered by the fleet
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, or related field
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Good understanding of optical and/or RF sensors and signal processing
- Experience with industry-standard SI tools (Sigrity PowerSi, Ansys, pSpice tools, etc…), and PCB CAD (OrCAD, Xpedition, Altium, etc...) and
- Understanding of SerDes and prevalent high-speed interfaces (Ethernet, USB, PCIe, HSMI, CSI, GMLS, etc…)
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering, physic
- Experience developing system architecture, optical and electrical sensor systems analysis, modeling and testing.
- Experience with ADAS systems and HW, including camera, depth/ToF camera, Lidar/Radar, IMU, and Ultrasonic sensor selection and integration
- Understanding of Computer Vision, and/or Machine Learning & Deep Learning, and experience with related platform profiling
- Experience with system-level profiling and optimization (Machine Vision, AI related Algorithms)
- Proficiency with Python or Matlab, C++, work or project experience with ROS and RTOS to interface with sensors
- Familiarity with PCB design considerations, as well as industry standard SI and CAD tools (Sigrity, Ansys, OrCad, Altium ,etc..)
- Experience with contacting vendors and reviewing specifications
- Experience with working with power, mechanical, firmware and software teams during product development
- Motivated and result-driven team player, with strong communication skills
- Comfortable and excited to work in a dynamic start-up environment
Coco provides salary + equity compensation packages. The salary range for this role is $148,000-$201,000. We also offer competitive healthcare benefits and a 401k program.
Coco is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation