VP of Engineering Operations (ES)
Signaloid provides efficient computing hardware and software technologies to quantify, transmit, and track data uncertainty in computations on empirical data. Our technologies are used in applications including materials modeling, autonomous systems, computational finance, machine learning, and noisy intermediate-scale quantum computing. Our team consists of contrarian engineers with combined research, engineering, and leadership experience from Apple, ARC, ARM, Bell Labs, CMU, University of Cambridge, EPFL, IBM Research, Max Planck, MIT, and NEC Labs. Find out more at https://signaloid.com and try out the Signaloid uncertainty-tracking computing platform by signing up for free at https://get.signaloid.io.
In this role, you will lead the engineering-focused operations and successful commercial delivery to customers of Signaloid's computing platform which allows our customers to quantify how doubts in the data inputs of their existing software affects their software's outputs, allowing our customers to satisfy regulations, save money, and save lives.
To succeed in this role, you will be someone who brings to the team the following attributes:
- A self-motivated individual with a desire to learn about our existing operations.
- An ability to communicate clearly and concisely while conveying empathy.
- An ability to efficiently understand our technology solution as well as our implementation technology stack, without unduly burdening teams with excessive requests for meetings.
- A willingness to help the team improve our operations within the constraints of a fast-paced technology startup.
- An ability to use tools such as Slack and GitHub for communication and project management.
- An ability to take initiatives while actively working to understand the reality and constraints of your environment.
In this role, you will need to continuously grow your ability to achieve objectives including:
- Coordinating our entire company engineering operations to deliver the vision set by the company leadership.
- Work with our Engineering and Traction teams to define measurable key results, derived from the company vision and leadership's strategy, that lead to on-time and on-budget delivery of our business objectives.
Within a year in this role, you can expect to:
- Work more closely within the leadership team to set and deliver the long-term strategy of the company.
- Propose and lead new strategic initiatives within the company.
- Have the opportunity to contribute to and explore other opportunities within Signaloid based on your demonstrated performance
- Hands-on experience working within engineering teams and leading technically-oriented but customer-focused teams delivering world-leading products.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the operations of an organization in the presence of market, regulatory, and technical uncertainty.
- Honesty, empathy, and a willingness to see the world from the viewpoint of others.
Additional Desirable Attributes, Skills, and Experience:
- Knowledge of one or more additional spoken languages beyond English is a plus.
- Willingness to accept a compensation package which is heavily weighted towards long-term equity.
- A candidate with a diverse background.
- Demonstrable track record of exceptional oral, written, and graphic communication.
Our Recruiting Procedure
- All positions require you to write a one-page cover letter (you can also substitute the cover letter for a snippet of code that will run on the signaloid.io platform; be creative!). We use the cover letter / code snippet to screen for communication skills, as clear communication is essential in a remote working environment.
- Applicants who pass the cover letter screening receive an initial 15-minute Zoom screening call with a member of our People Development Team to discuss your CV.
- Applicants who pass the screening interview, regardless of the position they are interviewing for, will be given a real-world project to solve over the course of one week (or two weeks if you are currently employed in a full-time job). In exchange for your time, we give you two books relevant to the rest of the interview process and £500 worth of free credits on the Signaloid Cloud Developer Platform.
- Applicants who successfully complete the project are invited for a set of 45-minute interviews with people from our core teams (there will be up to six such interviews) which will use the project you completed as a discussion point.
- In the final stage, applicants are invited for an on-site interview with members of the team in Cambridge, or a "virtual onsite" interview where a team from Signaloid will be at your disposal to implement a solution to a representative challenge you could face in the role.
A flexible remote-first work environment
- Be part of an international team with the flexibility to choose where you live.
- You can work any set of eight hours in a day provided four of those hours overlap with the working day in Zurich.
- Regularly join the rest of the team for in-person sessions somewhere in Europe (travel and lodging expenses covered by Signaloid).
- Yearly bonus based on company's Objectives and Key Results (OKR) performance and bi-yearly bonus based on your project team's OKR performance.
- Simple transparent compensation across the company.
- All full-time employees receive attractive stock options package.
A driven but respectful environment
- Our motto is "We're all going to die": We never speak ill of others even if we differ in our viewpoints; we show up every day with a sense of urgency; we treat each other with respect as though each day were our last.
- No isolated "projects": No person in the team works in isolation and a successful outcome for the thread of work you lead will inherently depend on getting help from (and helping) other members of the team.