Senior Software Engineer, High-Performance Embedded Software (GB)
Signaloid provides a computing platform to quantify, transmit, and track data uncertainty dynamically and throughout computations in unmodified computing workloads. Our technologies are used in applications including materials modeling, autonomous systems, computational finance, machine learning, and noisy intermediate-scale quantum computing. Our team consists of contrarian engineers with combined research, engineering, and leadership experience from Apple, ARC, ARM, Bell Labs, CMU, University of Cambridge, EPFL, IBM Research, Max Planck, MIT, and NEC Labs. Find out more at https://signaloid.com and try out the Signaloid uncertainty-tracking computing platform by signing up for free at https://get.signaloid.io.
In this role, you will lead the improvement of performance, reliability, and implementation quality for key firmware and RTL used across Signaloid's products.
- Be responsible for improving the performance of key low-level firmware and RTL used across Signaloid's processor platforms.
- Be responsible for coordinating with the RTL Implementation Lead and Compiler Tools Implementation Lead to achieve company-wide objectives and key results related to performance, reliability, and implementation quality of Signaloid's processors and computing platforms.
- Coordinate with the Compiler Tools Lead to deliver support for new programming languages and runtime systems on top of Signaloid's processor platforms.
After a year in this role, based on your demonstrated performance, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead new architectural design work across Signaloid's compute architectures
- Lead the implementation of your own architectural ideas in collaboration with a larger team
- Contribute to the strategic direction of Signaloid's computing platforms
- Expand your role to encompass other areas in which you have demonstrated exceptional competence
- Thorough understanding of digital arithmetic and number formats used in modern computing systems.
- Seven or more years experience writing low-level C/C++.
- Experience developing C/C++ software for deployment in commercial products.
- A willingness to listen to people until they feel understood.
- An ability to communicate complex engineering ideas succinctly and clearly.
- Honesty, empathy, and a willingness to see the world from the viewpoint of others.
Additional Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with Python, Rust, and Go.
- Strong applied mathematics background (with good working knowledge of probability theory, statistics, Bayesian methods).
- Strong background in the role of uncertainty in measurements and in engineered systems.
- Previous experience with tools for performance monitoring.
Our Recruiting Procedure
- All positions require you to write a one-page cover letter (you can also substitute the cover letter for a snippet of code that will run on the signaloid.io platform; be creative!). We use the cover letter / code snippet to screen for communication skills, as clear communication is essential in a remote working environment.
- Applicants who pass the cover letter screening receive an initial 15-minute Zoom screening call with a member of Signaloid's leadership team to discuss their CV.
- Applicants who pass the screening interview, regardless of the position they are interviewing for, will be given a real-world project to solve over the course of one week (or two weeks if you are currently employed in a full-time job). In exchange for your time, we send you two books relevant to the rest of the interview process and provide you with free credits on the Signaloid Cloud Developer Platform.
- Applicants who successfully complete the project are invited for a set of 45-minute interviews with people from our core teams (there will be up to six such interviews) which will use the project you completed as a discussion point.
- In the final stage, applicants are invited for an on-site interview with members of the team in Cambridge.
A flexible remote-first work environment
- Be part of an international team with the flexibility to choose where you live.
- You can work any set of eight hours in a day provided four of those hours overlap with the working day in Zurich.
- Join the rest of the team every three months for an in-person session somewhere in Europe (travel and lodging expenses covered by Signaloid).
- Yearly bonus based on company's Objectives and Key Results (OKR) performance and bi-yearly bonus based on your project team's OKR performance.
- Simple transparent compensation across the company, with four pay levels, in all roles, based on skill level: Contributor, Senior Contributor, Lead Contributor, and Principal Contributor.
- All full-time employees receive attractive stock options package.
A driven but respectful environment
- Our motto is "We're all going to die": We never speak ill of others even if we differ in our viewpoints; we show up every day with a sense of urgency; we treat each other with respect as though each day were our last.
- No isolated "projects": No person in the team works in isolation and a successful outcome for the thread of work you lead will inherently depend on getting help from (and helping) other members of the team.