GNC Engineer - All Levels
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 4, 2023
Gravitics is enabling space stations without compromise, beginning with our giant StarMax orbital habitat. One StarMax module will add roughly half of the existing International Space Station’s habitable volume – in a single launch! We’ll be spooling up from there and we could use your help.
We have aspirational sights, pragmatic footsteps, a proven team who executes, and committed funding. Join us!
About the Role
To build our giant space systems, we need rockstars of all experience levels who can directly work the full product lifecycle of a complex GNC system through all mission phases, including RPOD with multiple large spacecraft. Responsibilities:
· Challenge the status quo.
· Add your voice to find a better solution.
· Own your system and own it.
· Influence overarching GNC hardware, software, and library architecture as you build out team and capabilities, spanning from mission planning to guidance, navigation, control, and simulation.
· Define robust interfaces with flight software, 3DOF mission design, simulation, and hardware-in-the-loop testing.
· Create system designs that meet all requirements (that you probably identified yourself).
· Develop safe, reliable, yet low-cost control of large spacecraft operating as standalone spacecraft or mated structures.
· Verify great designs fit for crewed spaceflight through analysis and test.
· Work with strategic partners, contractors, suppliers, and our manufacturing team to deliver the StarMax GNC system.
· Be a reliable expert of your system, from concept to mission control console.
Do the responsibilities look vague? You bet they do. Come if you thrive in challenging projects with freedom to shape ambiguity into better solutions.
You’re a successful candidate if you are a giver, not a taker. You have an ability to make things happen. You are exceptional at several things, yet willing to take on efforts in areas of weakness. You don’t even know what “comfort zone” means.
· Demonstrated past ownership of complex projects.
· Ability to understand from first principles, not rely on the answers output from a mystery tool.
· A firm understanding of what’s required for a robust on-orbit GNC solution involving multiple spacecraft.
· Excellent working knowledge of C/C++ or Python. Ability to create and tune algorithms in simulation.
· Able to work exceptionally well with the many flight and ground disciplines that interface with GNC.
· 5+ years of experience in control systems, orbital mechanics, and modeling.
· Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field.
Bonus Points for
· A proven history of success in launch vehicles or space systems.
· Familiarity with industry standards and specifications such as SSP 50808 and ISO 24330.
· Direct experience with rendezvous, proximity operations, and docking, including system verification & validation.
· Direct experience designing and conducting software-in-the-loop, hardware-in-the-loop, and vehicle-in-the-loop tests.
· Experience selecting and operating multiple, dissimilar navigational sensor suites, e.g. LIDAR, star trackers, radar altimeters, etc.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Gravitics is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Gravitics is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status or common decency.
See more open positions at Gravitics
Something looks off?