Senior Backend Engineer (Credit Reporting)
Democratize Access To Credit
Together we’ll dismantle barriers to housing for working families and use data to eliminate the racial wealth gap. The ability to build credit from rental payments has the potential to give over 45 million renters with little to no credit a pathway into the financial system. Those individuals then stand to save over $200,000 in reduced lifetime interest payments, build home equity by qualifying for mortgages, and build wealth by passing job screening requirements. The transformational impact of this cannot be understated.
The Engineering Team
We are building a team of owners and changemakers. It is not enough to have the intention to do good –Esusu engineers translate intent into action and outcomes. We believe that accomplishing our ambitious goals cannot be done by lone heroes. Lasting change requires work by determined and collaborative individuals with a customer-first mindset. Our engineers aim to delight our customers and drive our business and team forward by leveraging their technical skills, empathetic curiosity, and teamwork.
Our back-end is microservice based, hosted in AWS and mainly written in Go. Our front-end is currently based on React and written in Typescript. Our data infrastructure is based on MongoDB, PostgreSQL, S3, Sagemaker, Snowflake, Talend, and mainly written in Python. We are continuously innovating, and always open to new solutions. Because Esusu is a financial services company, we are obsessive about every aspect of compliance and security. We are Test-Driven-Development enthusiasts and embrace a DevOps environment where your team is responsible for the full spectrum of development, testing, deployment, and maintenance, including working with product and business operations teams to create customer-focused solutions. Even though we are 100% remote, Esusu’s culture is intensely collaborative.
We are seeking a Senior Engineer with back-end, distributed, and platform systems, and credit reporting space expertise to play a pivotal role in the future growth of our company during a critical time of transformation. You will be responsible for the credit reporting and internal services engineering teams and their technical systems and direction at Esusu. You will closely work with various product owners and credit reporting specialists to create and own the product and business initiatives and roadmap pertaining to our credit reporting and internal services strategy. This role requires a high degree of collaboration with senior leadership, key managers, and product owners across the organization (e.g, Product, Credit Reporting Specialists, Operations, Risk Management). Your product and technical guidance along with working through and empowering others will enable new products and improve current ones in order to reach more customers and provide delightful and enriching customer experiences. You will own and be responsible for all credit reporting and internal systems at Esusu, including the credit reporting engine, persons, consent, and subscription services, and the internal administrative console.
You will be working on our next generation back-end services and credit reporting engine that will enable Esusu to benefit millions of people. This work will allow you to own and lead the development of key features across multiple lines of business. In addition to the technical responsibilities, you will coach, mentor, and develop our engineers by providing professional training and direct mentorship. You will help recruit, hire, and onboard new talent into the team. You will ensure efficient delivery through effective planning, setting expectations, prioritizing, and delegating. You will exhibit and foster Esusu’s culture and operating principles.
- Thoughtful and Adaptable Leadership: As part of the engineering leadership team, you will help set the direction for all data centric initiatives. You are deliberate in your ability to clearly define the vision and approach. You are able to focus on achieving the big picture while being able to drill down into details to enable, empower, guide, and unblock your teams and individuals.
- Product and Business Acumen: You demonstrate ownership and an entrepreneurial mindset. You believe that technology is a tool to be leveraged to delight customers and deliver business value. You are able to articulate the definition of a Minimally Viable Product (MVP) without sacrificing quality. You believe that perfection should not hinder progress. You have experience being a Product Owner and/or Business Owner, producing roadmaps and product/business plans.
- Technology: Although there is no expectation for you to be working directly with code on a daily basis, it is expected that you are able to write, review, debug, and test code and systems. You get involved in troubleshooting, building proof of concepts, and architecting systems and features. Your experience as a technologist enables you to optimally function in engineering and data design discussions. You champion automation and look for opportunities to automate and codify manual processes.
- Compliance and Security: Security considerations are always top of mind for you. You demonstrate good stewardship of data which is demonstrated in your planning and design approach. You apply compliance and governance considerations to every decision you and your team make; making sure to comply with legal and regulatory requirements. You help the company achieve compliance and security attestations.
- Empathetic Leader: Your leadership style sets the tone for communication and collaboration within your teams. You invest time in regular 1:1s with your directs and peers. You provide direction and autonomy to your teams and empower them to deliver within time and budget. You coach and provide regular feedback/advice to growth and develop the individuals in your teams. You leverage radical candor, directness, and kindness when communicating with others.
- Balance Velocity with Long Term Goals: You balance thinking big with delivering the right thing in an agile and speedy manner. Your and your team’s work is of the highest quality and you continue to raise the bar within your immediate team and our organization. When appropriate, you take shortcuts due to customer or business needs; documenting them and outlining fast-follows to remediate any shortcomings. You divide your and your team’s work in phases each delivering value and moving us towards accomplishing the desired outcome and goals.
- Very Strong experience in back-end, microservice, API-driven, and data pipelines engineering work experience.
- Experience in the credit reporting, accounting, lending, banking, payments, screening companies, insurance, subscriptions, or similar industry.
- Strong experience mentoring individual contributors, including back-end and front-end engineers.
- Experience leading both product and business strategy, and planning and roadmap delivery.
- Experience with general-purpose languages like Go, Python, C++, Java.
- Experience with AWS services such as S3, SNS/SQS, Lambda, ECS/EKS.
- Experience on database solutions, including Relational and NoSQL data stores.
- Experience with microservices and event-driven architectures.
- Experience working in and fostering environments that utilize Infrastructure-as-Code and DevOps.
- Experience managing globally distributed teams.
- Passionate about delivery in an agile environment.
Above and Beyond
- Experience in the FinTech or PropTech areas.
- Experience in a startup environment.
- Experience in SOC2 or similar certified organizations.
Key Technologies We Use
- Cloud: Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Backend: Go, Python.
- Frontend: React, Typescript.
- Data: MongoDB, PostgreSQL, S3, Sagemaker, Snowflake.
- Competitive Salary – for Series B startup – $XXX annual
- Restricted Stock Units (RSU)
- Full Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan
- Fitness/Gym Stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Remote Work Environment – a 100% virtual
- Flexible PTO Policy
- Mission Driven Company – a strong and driven culture
This job is eligible only for the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
© Esusu Inc. All rights reserved, Esusu is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.