Director of Digital Media
Job Title: Director of Digital Media
Location: San Mateo, CA
We recommend candidates with a background in concept art, animation and video production.
BRELYON is an enterprise and consumer facing startup introducing the first-ever, headset-free virtual display to replace multi-monitor setups in high-bandwidth applications like gaming and trading. The technology uses novel physics along with computational display techniques to create depth and panorama, emulating an IMAX-like experience in various form factors. Our goal is to amplify the human-computer experience by designing around light and the visual experience of displays. We are currently growing our production capacity and have our product shipped around the world.
We are building a dynamic and well-versed design team. The qualified candidates will join us in creating and designing new categories of displays. The candidate should be obsessed with a strong aesthetic and passion for creating design systems, spotting emerging trends, and translating design intents seen in automotive exterior design into tangible models for this consumer electronics product. The designs should be elegant yet executable. You will work with our mechanical engineers, model shop technicians, and industrial designers to take your designs to prototype designs to limited-quantity productions. This position will allow you to apply and broaden your skills, learn to work in a startup environment, and help create products that will be shown around the world.
This role is part of our brand development as well as for assisting visual communication of the product. The role requires full time attendance in our office in San Mateo.
- Provide vision, creative solutions, and elegant concept art and digital media assets for varieties of applications:
- Aid in the design and production of visual assets across the brand from animation to concept art to illustrations to video editing to video shooting.
- Utilizes 2D and 3D designs and prototyping tools for product conceptualization and visual story telling. (Highly experienced in surfacing, texturing, graphic illustrations, line work etc.)
- Having a stellar geometry understanding and geometrical memory to push our boundaries of imagination.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams on complex technical problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Expertise in animation environments (blender, cinema 4D, 3Dmax, etc)
- Expertise in one or more 3D design software (e.g. SolidWorks, Rhino, CATIA, Zbrush, etc) with focus on design, surfacing, 3D texturing, and building complex geometries.
- Expertise in one or more 2D design software (e.g. Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, etc) with focus on concept art topics such as line work, color, composition design, graphic illustration, perspective management, etc.
- Master's degree in industrial, transportation or related fields with 3+ years work experience (or Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of work experience) designing consumer products
- A great visual communicator all the way from hand sketches and concept art to PowerPoint presentations to 3D renderings
- Experience leading and driving design efforts from concept to production.
- Form development intuition. Able to contain complex details with simple geometries.
- A proven track record of collaborating successfully with engineering and product marketing teams to develop designs and bring successful products to market.
- Knowledge of material properties such as plastics, metal, adhesives, glass, composites, etc.
- 3+ years mass production related experience
- Collaborate with process partners to translate design intents into prototypes and productions
- Fast learner, problem-driven and self-motivated. Able to balance and prioritize multiple projects.
Nice to Have
- Expert in one or more animation/video/rendering software (e.g. Adobe After Effects, Premier Pro, 3D Max, Maya, Blender, Keyshot, etc.) or have the sense and understanding to guide a team in that direction.
- Be hands-on and have prototyping skills using model shop equipment to assist the prototyping team.
- Experience in developing consumer electronics or wearable tech products.
- Experience in hands on part processing such as painting, clay model work, sanding, and surfacing.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.