Head of Spacecraft Development
As our Head of Spacecraft Development, you will spearhead the comprehensive design, testing, and integration of Argo's reusable in-space transport vehicles. Reporting directly to the CTO, you will be responsible for the architecture and integrated design of Argo’s spacecraft systems, owning the avionics, propulsion, mechanical, thermal, dynamics, and test of the full flight system. You will also be on the frontlines of implementation, collaborating with the Argo business team to understand customer requirements and feed those into space vehicle and architecture design.
- Build, test, and fly reusable transport spacecraft that will make in-space transportation affordable and abundant
- Lead a high-performing team including mechanical, dynamics, electrical, thermal, and propulsion engineers
- Drive rapid execution and iteration in lean development efforts that put hardware in orbit quickly
- Recruit, hire, and plan for an organization that will quickly scale to meet the demands of the business as it grows
- Foster technical excellence and ownership within the spacecraft engineering team by mentoring team members and setting a high standard
- Design spacecraft that meet company and mission goals and provide new capabilities for the in-space economy
- Negotiate requirements by having a deep understanding of the company and mission objectives and providing alternative solutions
- Implement test plans consistent with the risk posture of the mission and own the outcome of test campaigns
- Conduct design reviews, test readiness reviews, and flight readiness reviews with a heavy emphasis on technical excellence
- Actively participate in design, analysis, manufacture, and test execution
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or science discipline. Or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience with designing complex systems that operate in harsh environments (autonomous vehicles, drones, spacecraft, etc.)
- 1+ years directly managing engineering teams
- Capable of maintaining flexibility in direction under changing circumstances.
- Track record of delivering novel, excellent technical products
- Experience managing analysis products and incorporating their feedback into design
- Experience managing spacecraft design and/or design teams
- Conducted full test campaigns on satellites, or significant systems of such, familiarity with SMC-S-016 or similar specifications
- Experience with risk management systems and matching risk tolerance to design requirements
- Experience in the space exploration industry or other high-reliability and demanding operating environment
- Experience with complex project and schedule management
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, rewarding work environment
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected persons as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Argo believes in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. Additionally, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
Salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Argo Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Something looks off?