Structures & Mechanisms Engineer - All Levels
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2022
Gravitics is enabling space stations without compromise, beginning with our giant StarMax orbital habitat. One StarMax module will add roughly half of the existing International Space Station’s habitable volume – in a single launch! We’ll be spooling up from there and we could use your help.
We have aspirational sights, pragmatic footsteps, a proven team who executes, and committed funding. Join us!
About the Role
To build our giant space systems, we need rockstars of all experience levels who can directly work the full product lifecycle of several challenging assemblies, including pressurized structures, launch adapters, mechanisms, and more. Responsibilities:
· Challenge the status quo.
· Add your voice to find a better solution.
· Own your system and own it.
· Create mechanical designs that meet all requirements (that you probably identified yourself).
· Verify great designs fit for humans in space through analysis and test.
· Work with suppliers and our manufacturing team to make your designs reality.
· Be a reliable expert of your system, from concept to mission control console.
Do the responsibilities look vague? You bet they do. Come if you thrive in challenging projects with freedom to shape ambiguity into better solutions.
You’re a successful candidate if you are a giver, not a taker. You have an ability to make things happen. You are exceptional at several things, yet willing to take on efforts in areas of weakness. You don’t even know what “comfort zone” means.
· Demonstrated past ownership of complex projects.
· Ability to understand from first principles, not rely on the answers output from a mystery tool.
· A firm understanding of what’s required for a good mechanical design.
· Knowledge of dynamic loads such as vibration, shock, thermal, and/or radiation and how to design for them.
· 2+ years of experience in mechanical or aerospace engineering.
· Familiarity with CAD and Analysis packages such as NX and NASTRAN or similar.
· Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field.
Bonus Points for
· A proven history of successful hardware in launch vehicles or space systems.
· Experience working with safety critical systems, pressure vessels, docking and/or deployment mechanisms.
· Deep working knowledge in fracture analysis, analysis of welds and other joints, and heat treat properties.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Gravitics is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Gravitics is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status or common decency.
See more open positions at Gravitics
Something looks off?